From our Executive Director, Barbara Loh:
This "starting over" time of year is always a time of transition as we still hope for the last vestiges of summer while we are faced with shortening daylight, cooler temperatures and the holidays just around the corner. It is a time for reflection as we start anew, but mostly, we look to the year ahead, what we are anticipating and our aspirations.
While we don't know what is ahead and the prospect of uncertainty can be daunting, at Valley Eye Radio we are on a continuing quest to ensure that our almost 45 year old unique service will be around for many more years and that it will be better than ever. You can look forward to hearing more about our "fresh start" as we say goodbye to summer and move forward in ways anticipated and not!!
We would like to thank the Irene E. and George A. Davis Foundation and Sarah Gillett Services for the Elderly for their recent grants and Shatz, Schwartz and Fentin for their underwriting. Their continued support is so appreciated and helps keep us on the air for our listeners. Thanks to Senators Adam Gomez and Eric Lesser for helping us to receive more state funding than ever for the fiscal year ahead. Their tenacity and advocacy have helped stabilize our financial situation and keep us on the air also. We are so grateful.
- After a Summer hiatus, the Valley Eye Radio’s new quarterly monthly newsletter is here with news about what we’ve been up to during the hot months and now!
- In June, Valley Eye Radio attended the Aging in Place Health Fair at the South Hadley Senior Center and presented the audio from a series of virtual events from Baystate Health, Ruth’s House Lunch and Learn Series, the Human Service Forum and the Public Health Institute of Western Mass.
- In July, Valley Eye Radio was out and about spreading the word about our service and spoke to a very interested group of people at the 16 Acres (Springfield) branch of the Golden Age Club to give them information about what we do.
- In August, Valley Eye Radio enjoyed the great weather at Look Park In Northampton and presented an information table at MCB’s annual picnic for clients and their families. Our thanks to all of our valued volunteers that shared their experience at all these summer events.
- Valley Eye Radio was also pleased to have State Rep. Mindy Domb (D-Third Hampshire District) visit our studios in August to find out more about Valley Eye Radio and what we do. She had lots of great ideas to share with us and her interest in our service and mission is very much appreciated. Thank you, Rep. Domb for your support.
- On September 17th, the East Longmeadow Lions Club held their annual free indoor picnic for the visually impaired at the Pleasant View Senior Center. There was great food, nice music and fellowship and their donation to Valley Eye Radio was very much appreciated.
- Valley Eye Radio had speaking engagements in October as well at Loomis Lakeside at Reeds Landing in Springfield where we had the chance to answer a lot of great questions and update residents on our service.
In addition, we had the great pleasure of speaking at a meeting of veteran services agents and organizations in Granby to update them on our veterans outreach programs, Vet Minute (with up to 20 minutes of VA and military news) every day of the week at 2:30 pm and Vet Minute History every Saturday morning at 8:30am.
Happy Birthday to all of those in our volunteer reader family who had to eat their cake and ice cream quickly during the hot and sunny months of summer.
Happy Birthday also to all of those dedicated volunteer readers who begin another trip around the sun in the month of October: Andrea, Joshua, Diane H., Joan, Deb, Karen, Ginny, Steve, Susan, Dan, Annie, Melinda, John and Maryellen.
Happy Birthday as well to all of those volunteers who give so much of themselves and who will be feted by friends and family in the month of November: Linda, Ellen, Heather, David, Colleen, Jane, Robert, Roy, Laurel and Diane.
…and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You” as well to all of those in our volunteer reader family who will receive best wishes from many in the month of December: Joe, Cynthia, Chris, Ling, Wendy, Stephen, Jody and Marie.