From our Executive Director, Barbara Loh:
Spring has more than sprung, the pollen is flying, and it is state budget debate time. It is a critical season for our listeners who rely on our service and for our organization to continue to grow and thrive for them.
We have many to thank in our community for their collective past and "budding" generosity. We want to, first and foremost, thank Representative Michael Finn and Senator Adam Gomez for agreeing to again sponsor amendments to their House and Senate budgets for Valley Eye Radio and other members of the Massachusetts Audio Information Network. Their ongoing support and commitment to improving the quality of life of our listeners have been critical to us being able to stay on the air 24/7 to keep them connected and informed. We are so appreciative.
We also want to thank District 33Y Lions Clubs for their continued support and generosity. I had the pleasure of speaking at the Ludlow Lions Club recently. What a vital club whose members are truly devoted to their motto, "We serve". Congregants of South Congregational Church in Springfield and the Christopher and Susan Mastroianni Foundation are also community members that we can count on every year at this time for their generosity.
And last, but certainly not least, it is Volunteer Appreciation Month. Without all of the hours that our close to 100 volunteer readers contribute every day, our small budget but big impact non-profit broadcasting service would be unable to provide our unique Pioneer Valley accessible broadcasts. We extend to you all a grateful bouquet of thanks for your ongoing caring and generosity.
- In March, Valley Eye Radio was pleased to be able to rebroadcast the Virtual Town Hall from MCB's Orientation and Mobility team and the MBTA Mobility Center.
Visually impaired listeners learned about travel training, reduced fares, and trip planning as well as the technology available to riders.
● Valley Eye Radio also held its first Open House for the District 33Y Lions Club at our studios in March.
Our thanks to all the Lions that attended who got to tour our studios and learn first-hand how we are able to do what we do for our visual and print impaired listeners.
We’re so proud of our continued collaboration with the Lions Clubs in District 33Y and to be able to help with the great work they do for our local communities and the advancement of eye research.
● More informative health updates from the expert staff at Baystate Health are being broadcast on Valley Eye Radio with "Why Can’t I Sleep?" from Dr. Eva Mok, adult and pediatric sleep specialist, Baystate Sleep Medicine, and "It Can Happen To Anybody: Colorectal Cancer” with colorectal surgeons, Dr. Holly Sheldon, and Dr. Ziad Kutayli, Baystate General Surgery, in March and "Stress Incontinence, Solutions to Stop the Leak" with Dr. Deepali Maheshwari, urogynecologist, Baystate Urogynecology, in April. More to come!
- Valley Eye Radio thoroughly enjoyed our visit to the April meeting of the Ludlow Lions Club to update them on all the latest news at Valley Eye Radio.
We are very appreciative of their hospitality and great interest in what we do and quite impressed by their dedication and enthusiasm for serving their community.
- Coming up on Monday, May 8th from 12:45 pm – 1:45 pm, Valley Eye Radio will speak to the seniors about our service at the Pleasant View Senior Center in East Longmeadow. Please stop by. We’d love to meet you!
- We’ve recently received a new shipment of the specially tuned radios that we provide for eligible listeners to access Valley Eye Radio. If you know of someone visually or print impaired in the Pioneer Valley, please contact us for information.
Happy Birthday to all of our dedicated volunteer readers who got their cake and presents in the month of March: Joel, Tony, Joe O., Maureen, Anurima, Maria and John.
Happy Birthday also to all of our valued volunteers who will begin another trip around the sun in the month of April: Joe G., Eddie, Perry, Elaine, Martha, Jim, Mary B., Jacqueline, Terry, Paul and Annie C.
…and a rousing chorus of “Happy Birthday to You” as well to all of those in our volunteer reader family who will receive best wishes from many loved ones in the month of May: Phil, Joan, Pat, Kathy S., Bobby, Lorraine, Dick and Hannah.