From our Executive Director, Barbara Loh:
Thanksgiving is upon us. It will feel more normal than last year at this time when we were still isolating, had not yet had the opportunity to be vaccinated, and masks were a way of life. But the world has changed and our lives were upended.
But, perhaps, one aspect of our lives has remained constant and possibly grown more than ever -- the gratitude we usually feel this time of year for our blessings and those closest to us.
And, for many of us, that includes caring for those in our community that we might not even know, but they need us. Hopefully, a silver lining of COVID is our heightened awareness of the vulnerabilities and isolation many feel in their day to day lives, not just during a pandemic. Our listeners struggle with maintaining their quality of life and staying connected and vital.
I hope on November 30, Giving Tuesday, you will do all you can to help us to keep our unique broadcasting service on the air for them.
Thanks for giving and caring.
- Valley Eye Radio has done a lot in the past year or so to expand our outreach and improve our programming and your support was an important part in that success.
Please help us get the word out about the upcoming Giving Tuesday on November 30th and encourage your friends and contacts to join in your support for our mission.
Donations can be done online, or you can even start your own Facebook donation page. Even spreading the word is a big help and can keep us moving forward with new plans and projects to make our service even better and more relevant to our listeners.
Save the date and thank you for your support! We couldn’t do it without you.
- Veterans Day, November 11th was commemorated on Valley Eye Radio with a number of programs related to the day about the history and stories from veterans who shared their experiences.
In addition, thanks to Baystate Health, we were able to rebroadcast their moving tribute to veterans entitled “Honoring Veterans Day”. With opening remarks from State Sen. John Velis and musical performances from the Six String Soldiers and The U.S. Army Field Band, this moving tribute was much appreciated.
- Valley Eye Radio had a special guest recently with the visit to our Springfield studios by State Rep. Natalie Blais (D- Sunderland) who represents the First Franklin District.
She came to learn for herself about our mission and how we do what we do for our listeners. Our thanks to Rep. Blais for her support of Valley Eye Radio and our listeners.
- Thanks to the Public Health Institute of Western MA, our listeners heard the talk by Dr. Chrystal Wittcopp, Medical Director of Baystate General Pediatrics, entitled “What You Need to Know About the COVID-19 Booster and Vaccine for younger children”. A lot of important questions were answered on this very timely topic.
- The travel saga of the “Accidental Travel Writer”, David Mould continued this month on Valley Eye Radio with “Lost in Stanland”, the latest in this series presented through Storrs Library in Longmeadow.
Through his stories, David takes our listeners along to share in his experience of living in some of the Eastern European countries just 4 years after the fall of the former Soviet Union.
- All of us at Valley Eye Radio are thankful to you for your support over the years and for helping us spread the word to those who need our unique service. Thank you for helping us to help them stay connected to the local news and information that’s important to them. We wish you and yours a very happy Thanksgiving and start to this holiday season.
Happy Birthday to all of those in our volunteer reader family who were born in the month of November: Linda enjoyed her cake and presents on the 7th, Our Board Chair Ellen and volunteer reader Heather received wonderful cards and wishes on the 9th, David was remembered by all on the 10th, Robert felt the warmth from friends and family on the 21st, Elizabeth feels the love on the 23rd, Diane D. and Laurel each begin another lap around the sun on the 29th and Johanna shares her day with loved ones on the 30th.
Happy Birthday wishes to all!