From our Executive Director, Barbara Loh:
The reviews could not have been better for our first ever virtual statewide Volunteer Appreciation event held last month.
We hope you all feel more appreciated than ever.
The words of one listener said it all about what our volunteers do for them everyday:
"What readers do is not just a straightforward read, it's communicating and being with us and sharing what you have and brightening up people's days. . .You are a gift. . .you have no idea what you do for people and how you make us feel."
Many thanks to MCB Commissioner David D'Arcangelo, Sen. Eric Lesser and volunteer Peter Benjamin, our board members and many others for their participation and attendance.
It is state budget time: the Senate will be deliberating starting Monday, May 24.
Thanks to Sens. Lesser, Velis and Comerford, an amendment has been filed (#387) to make sure we continue to receive state funding for FY'22 beginning on July 1.
Please let your state senator know that you hope they will support this amendment as they begin debate next week.
The passage of this amendment is critical to us to be able to stay on the air for our listeners.
● Valley Eye Radio has a new YouTube Channel! Now you have another way of connecting with us and keeping up to date on what we are up to lately. You can check out our videos at youtube.com by simply searching for Valley Eye Radio. Subscribe to our channel and be alerted on the arrival of the latest videos!
The Virtual Volunteer Appreciation Event, co-sponsored by MCB, Valley Eye Radio and the other 5 members of MAIN (Massachusetts Audio Information Network), was a tremendous success.
Our thanks to our legislative guest, State Sen. Eric Lesser, our dedicated volunteer Peter Benjamin and all those who participated in letting our volunteer family know just how important and appreciated is the work that they do for our listeners.
● Valley Eye Radio has also posted to our website blog and our social media a video about Valley Eye Radio, what we do and how we are always looking to “adopt” more members into our Valley Eye Radio volunteer reader family. Check it out at www.valleyeyeradio.org.
● Valley Eye Radio continues to give out our specially tuned SCA radios to those who need our service. If you know of someone who is blind, visually impaired or otherwise unable to independently read print material, ask them to contact us to get the local news that will keep them connected with their local communities!
● Our thanks to the World Affairs Council of Western MA for their latest fascinating exploration of world events with our rebroadcast of the virtual Instant Issues Online event by Dr. Peter Abbott, OBE, British Consul General to New England and Tom Nickalls, Deputy Consul General, on “Global Britain and the UK-US Special Relationship”.
We’re so proud to continue our collaboration with WAC in bringing timely and important issues to our listeners.
● Valley Eye Radio will close out the month of May by honoring the military personnel who have died in the performance of their military duties while serving in the US Armed Forces with dedicated programming on May 31st. Stay tuned.
● Happy Birthday to all of those in our volunteer reader family who were born in the month of May: Eugene got all the attention from friends and family on the 3rd, Phil began another trip around the sun on the 5th, Melanie got lots of great wishes on the 7th, Joan felt the love on the 11th, Bill and Pat got their cards and presents on the 13th, Kathy heard from loved ones on the 14th, Bobby was shown the love on the 17th, Lorraine was celebrated on the 18th, Beverly gets spoiled on the 21st and Dick hears from all his friends on the 26th.
Happy Birthday wishes to all!