From our Executive Director, Barbara Loh:
So much is being written and talked about in the last few weeks on what we have all been through the last year with COVID and how we are all considering making our "reentry" to "normalcy".
We had a ZOOM board meeting last week. I spent some time reviewing the last year and how we were able to survive and, despite the challenges, thrive. I marveled at how we achieved so much since the early darkest days of wondering how we would continue broadcasting for our listeners who would need us more than ever.
In large part we were able to grow our mission because of our volunteers who quickly mobilized to be able to record at home and who stepped up when needed to read even more.
How fitting, as we look back, that we will be showing our appreciation and gratitude for their time and talents during a Virtual Volunteer Appreciation Event on April 30 from noon-1pm via ZOOM.
The event is being sponsored by the Massachusetts Audio Information Network (MAIN) and the Massachusetts Commission for the Blind. Please mark your calendars.
We invite you all to join us and our legislative guest Sen. Eric Lesser (D-Longmeadow) to virtually celebrate our volunteers who are the lifeblood of our organization!!
The event can be joined online at zoom.us using the Meeting ID: 988 4844 0454 and the Passcode: 2021 or participate by phone at (646) 558-8656
- April is National Volunteer Month and Valley Eye Radio is always looking to add to our growing volunteer reader family. This month, we are proud to participate with a short video about us in the upcoming Pleasant View Senior Center virtual event highlighting volunteer opportunities.
World Health Day was April 7th and Valley Eye Radio especially highlights health related programming on Wednesdays. Throughout the month, we also broadcast audio from local event recordings from local sources such as Baystate Health and the Public Health Institute of Western MA to keep our listeners informed.
- Valley Eye Radio will take our listeners “out to the ball game” thanks to the audio from the upcoming presentation "Baseball in American Culture" by sports commentator and author, Evan Weiner.
This event is sponsored by FOLOCA and cohosted by Longmeadow Adult Center and Storrs Library.
- Our website blog has been updated with the latest interviews done by local media about Valley Eye Radio and a great article that appeared recently in the Westfield News. Check them out at www.valleyeyeradio.org.
- Our thanks to the World Affairs Council of Western MA for their latest fascinating exploration of world events with our rebroadcast of the presentation this month by Western New England School of Law Dean Sudha Setty who will speak on “National Security Priorities in Biden’s First 100 Days”.
Our listeners get to hear from local experts to better understand their world.
- We continue to give out our specially tuned SCA radios to those who need our service. If you know of someone who is blind, visually impaired or otherwise unable to independently read print material, ask them to contact us to get the local news that will keep them connected with their local communities!
- We are looking forward to meeting you at the upcoming virtual Volunteer Appreciation Event co-sponsored by MCB and our own MAIN (MA Audio Information Network).
We are so grateful to all of our volunteer reader family and enjoy showing it once again to all those who help make what do possible. Thanks to you all!
- Happy Birthday to all of those in our volunteer reader family who were born in the month of April: Dana met (virtually) with friends and family on the 2nd, Eddie felt the love on the 6th, Elaine got her cake and presents on the 11th, Jim begins another trip around the sun on the 14th, Mary gets cards and emails on the 18th, Jacqueline gets spoiled on the 22nd, Paul and Robin both get their best wishes from everyone on the 29th .
Happy Birthday wishes to all!